A new AC installation is a considerable investment. It’s one Shively, KY homeowners need to take seriously. Here’s what you need to know to make sure that you’re getting equipment that fits your home and lifestyle.
Why Size Matters
Making sure your new AC installation fits your home is critical because it relates to efficiency. Shively homeowners know that efficiency affects their operating costs. Here’s what happens when your cooling equipment is the wrong size:
- Too big: An air conditioner that’s too large quickly cools your living space but shuts off before it removes the humidity. Too much humidity leaves you feeling uncomfortable and detracts from your indoor air quality.
- Too small: An air conditioner that’s too small runs constantly trying to counteract Shively’s heat and humidity. The constant struggle uses more energy and drives up your electric bill. The extra strain can overtax your equipment and lead to air conditioning repairs.
Calculating the Right Size
To get an idea of the AC size your home should have, calculate the square footage to be cooled (multiply length x width), and then multiply that number by 25 BTUs (British Thermal Units). That gives you a starting point.
Because we take pride in delivering exceptional air conditioning services, our NATE-certified technicians don’t stop there. We perform Manual J calculations, which take the following scenarios into account in addition to square footage:
- How close the AC unit is to the kitchen (increase capacity)
- Sun exposure (increase capacity) and shade exposure (decrease capacity)
- Number of occupants (potentially increase size)
- Insulation and weatherization efforts (potentially decrease size)
- Geothermal or ductless options
Whether your AC is nearing the end of its lifespan or you’re building your dream home, you can count on Chapman Heating and Cooling to do a professional job. For more information, check out the air conditioning services we offer or call (502) 230-2726. We provide a satisfaction guarantee for all of our AC installations.